Despite the resilience and stability of the infrastructure, the defined quality of the output, the guaranteed geographical coverage for audiences, and the decades of client and supply chain experience built up in the process, there was always going to come a time when it became cheaper to deliver content via IP rather than broadcast. Has that threshold been reached yet? That was the subject of this week’s OTT Question Time (Thursday 15th July, 4pm UK). Together with Bjarne Andre Myklebust of NRK, Adam Davies of Synamedia and Dan Finch of Simplestream, we talked about the commercial, strategic and technical aspects of the transition from broadcast to IP and asked:
- Will all broadcasters eventually transition to IP delivery?
- What’s the impetus behind the move – what are the drivers?
- Given the success of the broadcast model, what are the advantages of switching to IP delivery?
- What strategic and technical considerations do we need to think about?
- And what timescale are we looking at for this transition?