For me, live-to-VOD is the real-time embodiment of the “glass to glass process”: getting content from the camera where the footage is being filmed to the end-user’s viewing device. But the elegance and simplicity of that proposition masks an underlying world of complexity. During this session of OTT Question Time we delved deep into live-to-VOD and got to grips with how it works, the challenges involved and the technologies and solutions that help power it.
Together with Marcus Box, CTO and co-founder at M2A Media, Ashley Horne, Head of Architecture at Simplestream and Andy Bielinski, Principal Consultant at Ostmodern, we:
- Walked through a live-to-VOD 101
- Explored its evolution over the past 15 years
- Considered standard and advanced live-to-VOD architectures
- Talked about the OTT pay models for watching live content
- And got to know the people and machines that bring VOD to our screens