Breathy headlines last week as Disney – now with 221m streaming subscribers – was reported to have edged past Netflix as the world’s biggest SVOD. And they did it in less than three years! And Disney is still growing fast! Netflix dethroned!
But is that an accurate representation of what’s really going on? That was the topic of this week’s OTT Question Time. Together with a panel of esteemed industry consultants including Alan Wolk, co-founder and Lead Analyst at TVREV, Maria Rua Aguete, Senior Entertainment Director, Media & Entertainment, Technology Fellow at Omdia, Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, and Wade Payson-Denny, Emmy-nominated producer and PR & Communications Manager at Parrot Analytics, we discussed:
- – How Disney+ grew so quickly compared to Netflix
- – The content strategies for both companies and how they contribute to subscriber retention / churn
- – The potential impact of introducing AVOD tiers
- – Whether ARPU rather than number of subscribers is a better measure of success
- – And whether the Streaming Wars (such as they are) are now a straight fight between Disney and Netflix
Watch the video below!
I've been working in online video since 2005 and have held senior roles at NBC Universal, ITN and Virgin Media. I've also completed VOD projects for the BBC, Netflix, Sony Pictures and a host of broadcasters and service-providers all over the world. Catch me on our weekly debate show, OTT Question Time, or drop me a line on LinkedIn.