At this week’s OTT Question Time, Thursday 17 February, 4pm UK, we talked about the broadcasters, films studios and operators all over the world that have decided to launch their own stand-alone OTT services and go direct-to-consumer. These companies may already have dipped their toes in the water by making their titles available on B2B2C (business-to-business-to-consumer) platforms like Amazon Prime Channels but how do they get ready to provide a more expanded offering?
Together with Tom Williams, CEO of Ostmodern, Joe Foster, CEO and co-founder of Easel TV, Debbie Leishman, co-founder of The Subscription Agency, and Ashley Horne, Technical Director at Simplestream, we explored:
- The various flavours of D2C
- The systems and technologies needed to power D2C solutions
- Having first-hand relationships with customers (as opposed to distributors, cinemas and OTT platforms)
- D2C and the role of aggregators
- And how the future of D2C services – especially from broadcasters – might play out
I've been working in online video since 2005 and have held senior roles at NBC Universal, ITN and Virgin Media. I've also completed VOD projects for the BBC, Netflix, Sony Pictures and a host of broadcasters and service-providers all over the world. Catch me on our weekly debate show, OTT Question Time, or drop me a line on LinkedIn.