Designing OTT user interfaces and experiences for Smart TVs presents some unique challenges. Compared to smartphones and tablets, which can be deeply personal devices, television sets were – and increasingly are again – where families watch together. TV on a TV is watched from a distance rather than up close. Navigation and search are controlled via handheld remotes or voice. And there’s a whole lot more screen real estate to play with and fill. How do you address all of these elements to create best-in-class Smart TV experiences? That’s the topic of a special webinar which we hosted with Synamedia and 3SS, on Thursday 7th October, 3pm UK / 4pm CET.
Together with Itzhak Elyakim, CTO at Yes Israel, Avi Ben Simon, Head of Delivery at Synamedia and Stefan Blickensdörfer, CTO of 3SS, we also explored:
- How TVs have regained their position as the prime mode for watching linear and on-demand
- Designing and developing experiences for multiple TV and STB operating systems and standards
- Feature scope: VOD, live TV, Mini EPG, Restart, parental controls, right to left UX
- Login, user profiles, search and other functions that need fast inputs
- And the further evolution of Smart TV experiences
Delivering best-in-class Smart TV experiences is free to watch now here.
I've been working in online video since 2005 and have held senior roles at NBC Universal, ITN and Virgin Media. I've also completed VOD projects for the BBC, Netflix, Sony Pictures and a host of broadcasters and service-providers all over the world. Catch me on our weekly debate show, OTT Question Time, or drop me a line on LinkedIn.