For me, live-to-VOD is the real-time embodiment of the “glass to glass process”: getting content from the camera where the footage is being filmed to the end-user’s viewing device. But the elegance and simplicity of that proposition masks an underlying world of complexity. During this session of OTT Question Time we delved deep into live-to-VOD and got to grips with how it works, the challenges involved and the technologies and solutions that help power it.
Together with Marcus Box, CTO and co-founder at M2A Media, Ashley Horne, Head of Architecture at Simplestream and Andy Bielinski, Principal Consultant at Ostmodern, we:
- Walked through a live-to-VOD 101
- Explored its evolution over the past 15 years
- Considered standard and advanced live-to-VOD architectures
- Talked about the OTT pay models for watching live content
- And got to know the people and machines that bring VOD to our screens
I've been working in online video since 2005 and have held senior roles at NBC Universal, ITN and Virgin Media. I've also completed VOD projects for the BBC, Netflix, Sony Pictures and a host of broadcasters and service-providers all over the world. Catch me on our weekly debate show, OTT Question Time, or drop me a line on LinkedIn.