The BBC iPlayer has seen strong and stable growth this year
according to its April 2012 iPlayer performance pack which was
The document, which also provides figures for January, February
and March, says that total requests between January and April have
averaged around 190 million per month with over 140 million for TV
and around 46 million for radio programmes - up +24% on the same
period last year.
Other highlights include:
- Mobile and tablet devices delivered a significant increase in
requests - up +94% on April 2011 - with 15% of total programme
requests coming from mobiles and tablets in April 2012.
- Apple announced the BBC iPlayer app for iPads is the
top free app of all time in the
- Demand from Internet connected devices such as Smart TVs, games
consoles and blu-ray players continued to grow, with 11% of all
requests in April 2012 - up +57% on April 2011.
- The Voice and The Apprentice have delivered the highest request
numbers for TV programmes across recent months. Other popular
programmes include BBC Three's Russell Howard's Good News, Britain
Unzipped and BBC Four's The Bridge.
- BBC Radio 1 continued to perform well as did BBC Radio 4's The
Now Show. Demand for football coverage from the Premier
League and FA Cup also remained popular on BBC Radio 5 Live.
You can download the April 2012 BBC iPlayer
performance pack here.